Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Garden

I spent part of the afternoon with my new tiller and burning off the area were going to put the garden. I like my tiller. I don't think I can do the first run over breaking up the top soil and pulling up the rocks but I can do the rest of the passes after that. Until we get the top soil broke up, the rocks out of the way and the red clay fertilized enough it can actually produce something worth eating, we are going to have to make several passes.

The rest of my time was spent reading the Harris Almanac because I couldn't find poor Richards but that worked out well as that it had an article on the three sisters and a chart showing plant compatibility. So I measured my garden plot. If we go all the way back to the metal storage building it will be 26 feet x 40 feet or about 1040 Square Feet. Not a huge garden by any means but if I plan the layout right I may be able to get plenty of produce from the area.

Right now all I know for sure is that I can plant pole beans and corn with Pumpkin, Squash, Gourds, Cucumbers, and melons.

I also found out the person who told me to plant my peppers with my tomatoes just didn't want me to have tomatoes. It explains so much. Yes the Tomato Worms stayed away from my tomato plants but each plant only actually produced about three tomatoes each.

So I need to figure out how much space each type of plant takes, how I'm suppose to plant them and what will go well in the five feet spaces between the Three Sisters Mounds. Its going to be a tight garden, and we may try to move some of it like the potatoes and onions to the backyard to expand but, I'm Leary about digging back there as that is where we burn trash and the septic tank runoff is located.

Ill let everyone know when I have figured out what I'm planting and where.

No comments:

Post a Comment